abeyanews

Gowon expresses worry over events in Nigeria; Nigeria still great country — Tinubu 

Gowon expresses worry over events in Nigeria; Nigeria still great country — Tinubu

By John Okezie

Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (Rtd.), has expressed worry over the state of the nation particularly how political leaders proffer difficult solutions to simple problems.

This is even as President Bola Tinubu stressed that despite the country’s political and cultural differences, his administration would continue to address the problems and unite the country.

They stated this Tuesday, at the launch of Gowon’s autobiography, entitled: “My Life of Duty and Alliance,” in Abuja.

The event had the presence of former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar; former Head of State, Gen. Badamusi Babangida represented by his daughter, Mariam; former President Goodluck Jonathan; Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi 11, former Minister Theophilus Danjuma; Former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai; former Chief of Defense Staff, Lucky Irabor; and Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State.

Others include Plateau State governor, Caleb Muftwang; Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Reduction, Bernard Boro; Minister of Budget and Economic Planning, Bagudu Atiku; Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Abubakar Kyari, Industrialist, Emeka Offor, among others.

Gowon said: “I am worried that Nigerians never seem to get tired of presenting difficult solutions to simple problems, which they further complicate with more complex and ambiguous solutions that invariably generate tensions in the country.”

The former military leader revealed that he decided to write his autobiography because of the countless time he has been declared dead and the negative stories making the rounds about him and his time in government.

“As I said, publishing my autobiography in the 60th year of my becoming head of state is mere coincidence.

“I had no timetable in mind. Over several years, several individuals tried their best to persuade me to write, (5:28) to end the growing spate of misinformation and disinformation on me in national conversations.

“More pressure was mounted when rumors of my death gained ground. Not once, but many times. I think up to four times so far.

I wonder how many more will be done. As you can attest today, these reports to paraphrase the writer Mike Twain were over-exaggerated.

“When I eventually decided to write, I was clear that I only needed to tell my truth, not join issues with anyone or sit in judgment over what might be considered right or wrong.

“I chose instead, I chose this path over my former stance to maintain silence conscious you know of the need to preserve institutional memory through a truthful documentation of my experience. Speaking, speaking out also became necessary because my story and that of Nigeria were too intertwined.

“So I needed to mind the gap and avoid feeding negative narratives that could reopen all wounds,” he said.

On his part, President Tinubu, represented by Vice President Kassim Shettima, said he was proud to be Nigerian despite gossip, mistrust and misinformation.

Shettima even recalled, three months after taking over office as vice president how some people from Borno State warned President Bola Tinubu against wearing traditional outfits he made for him during the 2023 electioneering, claiming that the garments had been poisoned and could lead to his death.

He said: “When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president”, Shettima recounted.

According to him, Tinubu dismissed the allegation, noting that the claim did not add up because both of them were only aspirants at the time the clothes were given to him.

He said Tinubu told him: “Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate.”

The former Borno State governor added that Tinubu deliberately continued wearing the outfits for one week to dismiss the allegations, saying that the episode reflected what he described as ‘growing suspicion within Nigeria’s political environment.’

He said: For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses,” he said.

On his part, Former President Goodluck Jonathan, said the book, if read and understood by citizens would change their perception about mistrust and strengthen the bond of unity and oneness.

Jonathan said: “This autobiography therefore comes at a most appropriate time. Across the world today, nations are confronted by division, mistrust, insecurity, and political polarization.

“There is much that contemporary leaders and future generations can learn from the experiences captured in this book, especially the virtues of patience, restraint, dialogue, courage, and reconciliation.”

Reviewer of the book and the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Mathew Kukah, charged political leaders to write their autobiographies to clear the air on certain political issues and decisions taken.

He added: “So, all we can take away from this book is a renewal of our commitment, our faith, our dedication to the fact that God, the supreme creator of heaven and earth, is not done with our country. He will still do great things for us.

“All of us are called upon to become agents of reconciliation. Because the book ends with the final sentence, to keep Nigeria one is a task that must be done.”

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button