NewsPolitics

SELF-DETERMINATION AGITATIONS: Nigeria merely surviving on oxygen unless restructured – Iba Gani Adams

By IHECHUKWU SUNDAY

The Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, Iba Gani Adams has said that unless Nigeria is restructured along the lines to be agreed to by stakeholders, the country as it is now is living on borrowed time and could collapse anytime soon.

Briefing the press in Lagos yesterday (Thursday, January 13, 2022) as part of the celebration of the 4th anniversary of his installation as the 15th Aare Onakakanfo, Iba Adams expressed the belief that restructuring Nigeria into regions would solve the political and socio-economic challenges be-devilling Nigeria, adding that having the country restructured would also douse the growing agitation and tension across Nigeria, particularly the clamour for secession.

He suggested that 25% of the nation’s resources should be given to the Federal Government while the remaining 75% should be distributed to the regions “accordingly.”

According to him, in the light of the seemingly unending challenges that had confronted virtually all parts of Nigeria in more than a decade, there was no way the country could effectively surmount these challenges without restructuring.

He contended that if there were federal, regional, state and local government policing, there would be periodic checks in situations where there were excesses from any of them.

“If we don’t want Nigeria to break up, we must restructure it into regions. This is what everybody has been clamouring for so that everyone will have a sense of belonging,” Chief Adams stressed. “Niger Delta people that are fighting for resource control are also part of the call for restructuring. I will be the last person to be against this agitation because it is their right. Before the existence of Nigeria, the people of Niger Delta had been existing likewise the Yoruba nation.

“We in the South West benefited immensely during the regional government headed by the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo. We could remember the level of development and healthy competition across Nigeria.”

On 2023 election, Adams described Nigerian politicians as untrustworthy, accusing public office holders of failure in the fulfilment of their electoral promises and pointing out that having witnessed many elections in the past, he could no longer allow himself to be deceived.

He insisted that there was still enough time to restructure Nigeria before the next hand over date.

“We can’t because of the interest of one person or a few individuals continue to destroy our future,” Adams said, in reference to the jostling already by politicians who want to replace Buhari in 2023 on the basis of the current “flawed” federal system run by Nigeria.

On his office as the Yoruba Generalsimo, Iba Adams explained “the office of the Aare Onakakanfo is mostly driven by the vision to transform the traditional institution and change the ugly narratives.”

“What is most important for us is to be committed to the ideals of the institution. We must focus our strengths on the vision of the office of the Aareonakakanfo of Yoruba land,” he stressed. “We will continue to forge ahead, using our God-given talents and ability to bring about the desired change and transform the Yoruba traditional institution desire.

“I will use my influence and network to build the Aare Onakakanfo Institute of Culture and Tradition. The idea is to build a monument of global standard that will take care of Yoruba artefacts, artistry and creative works and a Yoruba language school that will cater to the needs of the deficits in the Yoruba language.

“In the coming years, I will also use the office of the Aare Onakakanfo to build the South-West Agriculture Village that will also help in building the region’s agricultural economy where food will be in surplus.

“In no long distant time, my office will create the Southwest Farmers Development/Growth Initiative, an initiative that will take care of  South-West farmers’ worries. We will be giving out loans to farmers across the region.

“As the Aare Onakakanfo of Yorubaland, it  is also in my plan to build a Theatre Village where our focus will be to train new artistes and  encourage the use of pure and undiluted Yoruba language

“As I have said earlier, our effort at fulfilling our promises to the Yoruba nation is still work in progress. I want to thank and appreciate all those who have contributed to the success stories we share today. All our friends and admirers, the media, both the print and electronics, and even the digital media for standing by us. Your support, so far, spurs us on as an institution. And I want to assure you all of our resolve to continue to promote unity, peace and secure Yoruba land.”

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
Close
Close